1) Ikea fabrics: WIN. Even if you donâ€™t like other aspects of Ikea, the fabric selection is an all around winner for selection and cost, and the proof is in Rebeccaâ€™s adorable pillows. Susan Abramson says: â€œI love the orange and white â€“ such a happy colour and design!! And you canâ€™t go wrong with an Ikea fabric â€“ itâ€™s almost always 100% cotton and priced great so it wonâ€™t owe you anything once you tire of it.â€
2) Book cataloging sites are helpful in theory and in practice. Shelfari and GoodReads are two options that count Shelterrific readers as fans. SarahB says: â€œI started using Shelfari 3 or 4 years ago, when someone in my book club told me about the site. Iâ€™m an avid reader (I read 63 books last year), and Shelfari is a great way to keep track of what Iâ€™m reading, what Iâ€™ve read, and what I want to read in the future.â€
3) Subtle wall stencils have mass appeal. Rebecca F.â€™s idea to paint a stencil in the glossy finish of her bathroom wall color has fans. We love the subtlety! Christina says: â€œOh I love this! Great stencil and I love the idea of stenciling the same color on a wall but in gloss. Thanks for the awesome idea.â€
4) Toothpick holders have a following. Very collectable, they have multiple uses and might make great Motherâ€™s Day gifts! Kimberj says: â€œOne thing I always keep an eye out for is cut glass salt and pepper shakers. I only look for singles that have no mate. I fill them with some kind of lovely organic spice or a cinnamon sugar mix and use them as hostess gifts for parties, holidays, or even a housewarming. I never thought about toothpick holders. What a lovely idea. They could even be filled with festive party picks for appetizers or specialty cooking salts.â€
5) Money saved on booking a non-Saturday wedding is worth it for many of you. Our reasons for Friday weddings differ from those of Will & Kate. Sara says: â€œI got married on a Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. One of the best parts was that our rehearsal dinner was a catered Thanksgiving dinner. We did save some money on the venue because it was a Friday. Another bonus was that guests had time to travel home on Saturday instead of Sunday.â€ Did you save money by avoiding a Saturday wedding?
photo by Kletia Garies