Last year we swooned over a mod gingerbread house that we saw on Uncrate, but it seems like that chic kit is no longer available. We’ll just have to roll up our sleeves and roll out the dough and make our own! Luckily, SusieCakes, a California based bakery, has share its how-to on how to make this modern California Christmas Gingerbread House. If you don’t have the time (or patience) to make your own, you can order them from SusieCakes site for $65. Here’s how you make your own holiday beach bungalow — sand not included.
California Christmas Gingerbread House Recipe
Yield: approximately two houses
What You Need
2 cups shortening
3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
10 whole eggs
14 cups all purpose flour (AP and cake combined or 7 of each)
1 tbl salt
2 tbls baking soda
3 tbls cinnamon
3 tbls ground ginger
Directions: Make the dough
1. Using a mixer on low speed, cream together shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and molasses for 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sift together salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and flour in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. On low speed, slowly add eggs to creamed shortening. Beat until thoroughly incorporated.
4. On low speed, add flour mixture to creamed mixture base in three parts, scraping down the sides between each addition.
5. Blend until incorporated.
6. Wrap the ball of dough completely in plastic wrap (not in the bowl) refrigerate overnight before use.
1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
2. Roll out dough between pieces of parchment paper to be 1/8 inch thick and cut out house-shaped pieces.
3. Store pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes before baking.
4. Bake approximately 25 to 30 minutes at 300° F.
5. Remove from oven and cool on sheet pan.
Directions: Make the Royal Icing
What You Need:
3 oz. pasteurized-egg whites
1 teaspoon water
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Combine egg whites with water.
2. Put in mixing bowl and gradually add in the powdered sugar.
3. Mix on low until glossy. Then mix on high until stiff peaks form (5 to 7 minutes).
4. Use immediately or store in airtight container.
Directions: Ready for the California Christmas Gingerbread House Assembly?!
1. Once you have your gingerbread house pieces and royal icing ready, gather a thick piece of cardboard large enough for the house and landscape.
2. Using your bag of icing, pipe a line of frosting on the inside of the first side piece that will be touching the inside of the back piece.
3. Quickly pipe a thick “L” for the back piece and the first side piece of the house on top of the board where you want the house to stand and place them on top.
4. The icing should be thick enough to hold the pieces in place.
5. Repeat steps until all sides of house are standing. Let dry before putting on the roof.
6. Pipe thin lines of icing between the gaps of where the pieces meet for reinforcement.
7. Pipe icing on top of all the house sides for the roof to lay on top of and seal the entire house together.
8. Meanwhile, decorate your windows and doors and set them aside to dry.
9. Once the windows and doors are dry, pipe icing on the back sides and attach them to the house.
10. Now you are ready to decorate your house and board for the landscaping.
Have you make a gingerbread house this year? We’d love to see it! Email us at letters (at) shelterrific dotocm.
Thank You SusieCakes for sharing with us!