Anyone who’s worked in advertising or printing is familiar with French Paper. Not only are they popular as a source for print materials, over the years they’ve started making their own clever and colorful Pop Ink gift and homeware designs. We’ve written about the Decor-a-Boards, but I was excited to recently take a look at some other Pop Ink offerings I’ve missed. Check out these oh-so-cute and demented Cannibal Kitchen cocktail napkins, or these gorgeous cocktail napkins in Wallpaper designs. Look at these lovely and goofy melamine plates. Get wowed by this fabulous gift wrap selection. Check out all the Pop Ink here. –Mary T.
Faythe Levine’s Handmade Nation, her documentary on the rise of indie crafting, is being shown in special screenings in many states. I’ll be getting out to see it when it comes to Seattle in a couple weeks. If you want to see if a city near you is on the list, check the right column on the Handmade Nation blog — cities in Missouri and Virginia are on the list, as well as Washington, DC. Even if the documentary isn’t screening near you, it’s due to be released on DVD in November — perfect for holiday giving! Watch the trailer here. –Mary T.
1) Some of you are behind…on your Christmas shopping. Tiffany S. says: “We got our dining room fixture at Ylighting, and we still get compliments even though IKEA now has a similar shade. Iâ€™ll have to check out the Wax Works! Iâ€˜m so behind on my holiday shopping! Thanks for the links!” See all the sales here — you need to get shopping post-haste! (Tiffany, we’re just jealous.)
2) There are yeas and nays on pet insurance. Kelly is on the “yea” side. She says: “Having worked at an emergency animal hospital for 4 years, I can say if you have a pet you should either contribute to a savings account every month or have pet insurance. …I donâ€™t mean to scare people but I canâ€™t tell you how many times I have seen an owner come in and have to decide whether they can pay to save their pet or not. And not even hugely large bills. We are talking $600.” Others have weighed in that they had, and then canceled, pet insurance. Read all opinions here.
3) The right salsa can encourage visitors. Bean says of Katie’s summertime salsa: “oh man is this at your house right now? can i come over??” Learn to make your own here.
4) You also appreciate Allee Willis’ quirky style. lsaspacey says: “I still have magazine clippings from the 1980s on an apartment that Allee Willis had then. The stories are a couple of years apart so you can see a slight transition. Maybe Iâ€™ll scan them in and write about them one day soon.” Click here for the link to the LA Times article.
5) With all the solutions out there, it’s a wonder we ever got fruit flies. Lu says: “Needing to get rid of the swarm in our kitchen (really like a swarm), I dug out some leftover fly paper from last year â€“ they donâ€™t like that! But, I dipped a Q-tip in the Garlic Red Wine Vinegar and tucked it into the spirals â€“ and woohoo they loved it! I didnâ€™t know about the drain/breeding issue and am off to treat that now. Thanks!” See the wealth of fruit fly fixes here.
Following trash on its journey at the NY Times.
Allee Willis, queen of kitsch — singular style at the LA Times.
This isn’t new, but it is still incredibly useful: a backpacking first-aid checklist from REI.
A few favorite things at Modish — fun to look at.
That’s new: five drink-inspired light fixtures at Casa Sugar.
Hearty garden pasta at The Salty Spoon — looks like a great bridge to fall.
Not Martha was recently “receptioned” and shares some great, simple wedding ideas plus some fun things to do in and around Cleveland — click here to start, but be sure to check out some of her other posts as well.
Now through October 2, shop Ylightingâ€™s first-ever warehouse sale — save up to 80% on brands like Flos, Artemide, Vibia, and Luceplan. We like: Powell Street Pendant, $410.40 (was $570). Spun metal shade with painted interior to supply a wash of white or tinted light — lovely.
Save an additional $5 off your $50 online order at Target. Discount applied at checkout. If not, use promotion code TC56TF5T. We like: Zombie Groundbreaker with Lighted Beating Heart Halloween Decor. Because — come on! Just because!
This is half sale, half warning: Marimekko wallpaper prices will increase on October 1, so order now at AlwaysMod, where you’ll also find plenty of additional sale prices. We like: Marimekko YstÃ¤vÃ¤t Wallpaper, fab for an accent wall.